Tuesday, November 3, 2009

The 24 Hour - Preview Ride

As a team Lickety Split would like to enter this year’s 24 hour MTB event – it is “good training” for next year’s Swazi X which is currently our major target event. After the disaster that we had at last year’s Maropeng race (horrible course, cheaters, wind, etc) we decided it would be a good idea to go and see what the terrain for this year’s event would be. Four of us went on a trip to Rietvlei farm and joined up with Wendal, the course designer, to see what the route was like.

First off let me state that I love long open dirt roads for riding, I am not a “fan” of single-track and technical riding. I do them (and would consider myself an average rider) because they form part of MTB events. The 24 hour at Northern Farm was to me the perfect 24 hour route – easy riding, non-technical etc.

Rietvlei is rather small, and a winding route has been graded out of the grass for the first few kilometres. This will be great for spectators to be able to see the riders for quite a while, but does give people that want to cheat an opportunity to do so. After the winding graded route, the trail enters the technical single track routes through the koppies and wooded copses of the farm. I feel that this section gives little opportunity to overtake, however many of my team members disagreed with me. Once through the single track sections the route comes down quickly off the high ground and winds through the woodlands before entering the flat section that will contain the start.

While the route is reasonably technical it can be tackled by anyone. The better riders will be challenged to keep a high pace going, while the beginner riders will find the route difficult but doable.

There is no way that I would want to tackle the route as a solo rider. But as part of a team I think the route will be great.

Our thanks to Wendel for allowing us entry early onto the property and showing us the route. We will be back to visit Rietvlei as a training venue.

No comments: