Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Nissan Series: Pecanwood Race 21 Nov. 09

3 teammates (Nando, Mike and Adri) from the now famous Lickety Split team decided to take on this eventful/challenging MTB race. This is a report of three gutsy team mates, whom took up this challenge.

This report starts with an email I sent out earlier in the week asking my teammates who did not have enough from Bonamanzi to come and enjoy this race with me at Van Gaalens. I wanted to do this race as I have missed all the Nissan series races (mainly due to AR races) although I did have the opportunity to do two of the pre-race rides with fellow FPC riders from Irene who form part of the club organizing this race. I also had to give my boss’s wife a lift to the race as she was ranked 4th in her category in the Nissan series competition and needed to do this race to maybe obtain a podium finish in the series and my boss was going to be in Durban to attend a function.

After receiving confirmation from Adri and Mike….with some comments like….what have I done?.... Eek 60k!....we made a commitment to this race. I picked up all our numbers and gave them theirs at D&D on Thursday night.

Now for the day of the event “drama”. The heavens had opened up all week, and Adri’s weather report on Friday indicated that more rain and cooler conditions were expected on race day. On Friday night I sent an SMS to Adri making a statement that if it was raining in the morning I would definitely take a “rain” check. Well after getting up at 05h30 and “rushing” to the window I was “disappointed” to see it was still drizzling and cloudy. Now I had to make a decision but did not want to do it alone, so I phoned boss’s wife to get some positive reaction however she immediately said that she was not up to racing in these wet conditions. One down two to go….phoned Adri and Mike. Superman Mike seemed less perturbed about the fuss and was not bailing out and Adri was playing yoyo with her decision making, which left me in a confused state as to what to do. I had a sudden memory of Bonamanzi and after many words I decided to call it quits and Adri seemed unsure if she was still going or not! In my sorry state, I did not go to bed but decided to watch Eco Challenge instead which I have been recording for the past couple of weeks. I cannot explain this but whilst watching the teams go through some really harsh conditions, and thinking why am I still sitting here when I could be experiencing the same….crazy but true!…. the skies suddenly opened up, sun was starting to shine and I had this urge to get up and stop feeling sorry for myself. It was O6h30 and I still had enough time to get ready to leave at 07h00. Quickly phoned Adri to find out where she was….”on my way to take my dog for a walk at Emmerentia”. Well it did not take too much convincing, I think, as she decided to take up the challenge. I think she felt the same as me…guilty… even it meant that we just do a trail run instead. Superman Mike was already in flight to the venue. He probably thought we are just some crazy and indecisive teammates and probably shared this with his family in the car….don’t blame you if you were laughing at us!

Traveling to Van Gaalens I noticed that in Irene the weather was clearing and the sun was shining but towards Hartebeesport area it was still covered. Is it the Jukskei river that sets us worlds apart...or what! Anyway, I was now committed to the challenge come rain or shine! On arrival Adri asked if we were going to do the MTB or a trail run and decided to ask the race planner Pierre…whom I know well…. to tell us a bit of the course and he told us that the distance was cut short to 52k’s instead of the 60k cutting out some of the river sections due wet conditions..so I thought!. This did however seal our decision to do the MTB race. Adri quickly changed into her cycling shorts and I put on my old cleats. At the start I saw some familiar faces including Brendon from D&D. We were meant to start in 3 groups but it seemed that the organizers decided to start us all together…probably due to the low turnout.

Our first “mud” section was not even 100m away. We had to cross a river which had a steel bridge across it with a bit of a rise to the top. With a bunch of riders next to you, this was hectic. That overcome we all came to sudden stop at the top. I saw the camera crew on their quads watching us sickling and laughing inside…i am sure…at our heroics to overcome the sludge. They had thick tyres with farmland track to ride which but we had no choice but to ride a very muddy section instead. I had mentioned to Mike at the start that mud and me are not good friends and had still fond memories of falling in a mud puddle at Bonamanzi.

After surviving this muddy section we went onto a single track and then onto a dirt road towards the “mountain”. It was at this single track section, which co-incidentally was next to an old railway track, that Superman Mike passed me. He caught me unaware as I did not know he could ride so fast. Before I knew it he was gaining speed and momentum and vanished out of site. I still wanted to ask him what he had this morning to eat or drink but he just too flight. I must have caused a bit of a stir in the team in earlier MTB events as recently I am experiencing them sneaking past me without saying much. That’s fine guys we shall put our friendship aside at these races. I also had the feeling that Mike would come back to earth at some stage in the race….which I am afraid later he did!

Up the mountain we went. Now this mountain brought back memories of the Magalies monster. It was steep had some concrete and rocky sections, but luckily not as long. Once over the top we had some sweet single track down to the dirt road which also went into some very rocky sections. Once out of the rocks I remember this single track next to the road which went up and down like a roller coaster. Now a lot of concentration was required here as if you went off track you would come off badly, which the guy in front of me did except that he managed to control and come out of it unscathed…we applauded him for his skills. Shortly after this roller coaster ride we had another single track along another old railway line. I noticed that most of this course we were riding was marked with white paint on the stones indicating that it is a much used MTB trail. So we stayed dry for awhile until we reached another river again! What started off as a nice single track became hectic as the mud was getting the better of us. It was also at this point where the 30k sprinters caught up with us and demanded that we give way to them. No problem initially except that it was frustrating me to get off the track, off the bike until they all passed us. The only advantage was that you could see how they handled the mud and tried to imitate them. A MTB friend came from behind whom I had seen earlier changing a flat tyre giving me advice on riding the mud sections. Well it was hectic, slippery and sliding is all I can say. More so than Bonamanzi. We went through a low tunnel which for the shorties like me was ok but in knee deep water it made it tough to pull through. By the time we got out of this section our bikes felt like lead, and plastered in mud. At the next river section I was about to clean my bike when I noticed that the color of the water was black and an awful stench coming from it which would probably make me sick and rust my bike further. So with sticks in hand we cleaned what we could off the bike.

The next section to the 30/60 split was again on a single track next to the farm road. At this point I was wondering where Superman Mike was. Could he have had so much energy to go all the way at that pace. Actually I did not care as I had just overcome my adventure in the mud and came from it unscathed. I also wondered how Adri was doing on her new cleats and if she was regretting having me convince her to use it on this race. She also had a choice here to do the shorter route should she find the race too much on her cleats. From this split suddenly I was on my own most of the way. The route then took us towards another mountain but this time on a rideable single track section to the bottom of the mountain (fortunately). We then had a nice downhill to the dirt road. It was about 35k into the ride when on my way up to the mountain I saw Superman Mike. His bike was turned upside down and he had a tube and tyre in his hand. I asked him what happened and he showed me a nasty sidewall which had exploded. I asked him how long he had been here and he said over half an hour….half an hour to change a tube I thought…well ok Mike…I will give you the benefit of the doubt here! I did however offer my assistance and comfort to stay with him however he said he had everything under control and urged me to go on! Well off I went thinking and hoping that Mike will make it to the finish. The next section was tough although it had some downhills and then the last uphill to the Church which I distinctly remember doing in reverse on the Trial run Adri and I did a few months ago here. This old white church must have some history behind it and is such a land mark as it can be seen from afar. The downhill from here was just awesome and fast. The fun ended though when we got to the river section. This section for me was mostly not rideable and after seeing a few guys ahead of me come off second best, I decided to walk this one out as much as I could. There were also a lot of sty ramps and one floating bridge which was not rideable. After walking most of this technical section, we were on a single track close to finish which I was pleased I could ride. We carried our bikes across the water up an embankment and almost on our way to the home straight when we all followed a bunch of riders away from the finish. I questioned this as we were close on 51k’s and we should be finishing, not doing another loop. Thankfully they all decided to turn back to the section we deviated from the course. It was actually funny to see how many riders actually followed us. Then we all had a sprint to the finish which was such a welcome site. After 4hrs08min of just a 52k ride, it felt like one had accomplished much more than just the distance. I was now anxious to see when Mike and Adri would come in. I did not see Adri at the finish area indicating that she managed to carry on with this grueling race. Much to my amazement I saw Superman Mike come in 4hrs 41 min. Not bad going Mike and finishing on a flattish tyre, you are admired for your efforts to finish the race in these circumstances. Next wait was Adri, was she out there alone I wondered! Knowing her she would hook up with someone who was doing much of the same pace as her and probably stick together to the end. Well I was not far out. 5hrs 25min later she appeared out of the trees with another rider. Amazingly it was Brendon from D&D with her who had a gash on his head from a fall and Adri had a very bruised hand from her experience. We gave them a standing ovation for their efforts and congratulated Adri for completing her first MTB race with cleats. Just to boost everyone’s ego, we were informed that the famous Robert Hunter did not finish the race, in fact bailed out after 20k’s due to a technical problem!!!

Will I do this race again next year?? Definitely….but hopefully in better conditions. I compliment the race organizers for a well organized, adventurous route which had a bit of everything which would suit all and the most experienced riders.

NANDO

No comments: