Tuesday, December 8, 2009

24 Hours (Race Report) - Nando

Hi all,

It’s been a hectic Monday for me hence the non response.

I was so overwhelmed from our wonderful weekend together that to come back to the “real” world always comes as a big bang for me, and today was no exception. From a leaking pipe at home to the horrid traffic trip to JHB. Anyway enough said about my start of what will be my last week at the office for 2009.

To our weekend. Let me start with a big thank you to :

Sue and William for looking after our needs. I kept thinking how difficult it must have been for you to be there and not be participating with us. You actually showed no regret and only received so much positive support from both of you. You both deserve a medal for spoiling us with your time and efforts in looking after us.

Trish, I did not know you that well until this weekend. Mike has always mentioned you and I am very pleased that I got to know you a bit more and that you were able to join us on our “crazy” weekend. Thank you for your support and contribution to the team spirit and especially looking after Mike’s needs as he can be a handful. Oh, how can I forget, thanks for giving up your 5-man tent. I did not want to question how of you both fitted inside the “hankerchief “ but it must have been snuggly. Although I did notice Mike having difficulty getting out of the tent at 02h30 in the morning!

To my fellow teammates (Mike, Con, Adri), you were just awesome and am proud to have shared this experience with you. I will definitely not forget this experience we had together….as mentioned afterwards, please warn me if you want to race a race and not just go for a finish. I was pleasantly surprised by all your abilities although I knew inside all of you, you have this “killer” instinct. Adri, you constantly surprise me in your abilities and growth in MTB. I am also pleased that I was able to see you grow from a very weary rider to a now gutsy one. Well done and may you continue to inspire others around you. Con and Mike you have proved your point as strong MTB’s and will sit back and wait for the right moment to surprise you again…just joking!

Con, there must be so much “pressure” on you to write a report. With the photo’s that have already been sent already and others still to come, I can’t wait to hear your side of the story. Some of my memories were:

· Setting up camp and especially my gazebo which took a brain storm to get it up.
· The storm that came and almost blew my gazebo away and getting wet holding it down.
· Con being out there in the storm and wondering how he was doing under those conditions.
· The long wait for the race to re-start after the storm.
· Me being the first rider after the storm and riding in thick slosh of mud bringing back memories of Bonamanzi only worse. The worst was to have to resign from riding further to save the bike from destruction. However was pleased that the organizer decided to cut out this 1.4k section as it was actually a boring section.
· Sharing a Christmas song and gifts to add to the occasion.
· All the wonderful food that was available however my appetite was somehow missing!
· My last of the 2 laps at night with my headlamp power diminishing rapidly.
· The sunrise lap after having a cup of coffee which gave me lots of energy.
· Attempts at beating Con’s and Mikes lap times and having to resort to excuses that I had "heavy” traffic…actually it was partly true but honestly could not match their performances.
· 4 of us sleeping in the tent of which some had snoring competitions…no jokes!
· Trying to sleep and always thinking of the time factor. Need to practice more on those power naps.
· Driving home afterwards that took forever as my sleep factor was catching up to me and resorting to opening car windows and loud music to keep awake….scary moment.
· Arriving home unloading bike (only) seeing the family for 5 minutes, promising to take them for a waffle at 6 to make up for last time as I needed to sleep…which I did and actually worked!

Thank you all for another memorable event. I am truly pleased and honored to have shared this experience with you and mostly for the great teamwork we had together. I have always wondered how a team can get together and just work out as well as we do. It feels like I am in a dream world but actually I can pinch myself and know that its real and hope that whatever happens in the future, we will always remember what we shared and gained from our experience together.

On a final note, I left my ARKZN white bandana on a chair after my night ride which was wet with sweat. If any of you would be so kind as to check if by mistake got into your baggage would you be so kind as wash it and let me know so I can thank you for it.

I am away for the day to Durbs tomorrow…again so chat to you when I get back.

Boa noite, goeie nag, good night,

Via con Deus,

Nando

No comments: